Monday, December 1, 2008

Victory!!!!

As much as I love my pops...I can't really say that we had that "typical" kind of father/son relationship where we "bonded" much...or were like "best buds" or anything like that...We didnt sit around and talk about females or anything of the sort...Truthfully, bonding for us was during those summers we'd go bike riding to queens on Sundays...talking shit to each other about who can beat who...and those occasions when we'd be sitting in the living room, and we'd just break out the chess board and he'd show me how to play...while dazzling me with stories of how good he was when he was younger...whooping almost everyone he played against...also the funny stories of how he taught my mom how to play...and how one day she beat him (maybe cause he let her..idk..)..But yeah...that was pretty much what it was with us...and it was pretty fun! He always beat me though...Looking back, I dont think it was cause I wasnt good enough..cause I had beaten almost everyone else I played against...But I guess because I looked up to him (even more so cause of his stories), it was sort of intimidating to play him and I made a bunch of stupid mistakes. I still wanted to whoop him though...This is why, when he came for a surprise visit last sunday, I made a lil random comment about how I think he should practice some because next time I'd see him, I would whoop him in chess. Of course, i said that jokingly...but, to my surprise, he looked at me with a half-serious expression and say "take out the board now then..." It was funny cause we hadnt played a game in yeeeeeeeears....And for the first time, I actually focused like I did when I played all those others...And I played weeeeeeeeell....I think throughout the game...he made two pretty big mistakes..(aside from the terrible start...he didnt even set up his pieces the way he originally taught me to do...which was surprising...but i guess thats the result of being rusty...)...and I FINALLY played aggressively..as opposed to my usual defensive, waiting for him to make the first move..hahah I eventually cornered him...and he ended up quiting. lmao

Photobucket


See...I dont think it was totally hopeless though...I was shocked that he just quit like that because I feel like there were still moves he could've made...plus...i still could've made some mistakes....but ultimately, by the way things looked (to me anyway) both of us were gonna lose A LOT of pieces before the game was over...I think the real reason he quit was cause he was tired, and it was getting late..n he still had to drive back to queens to stay with his sis...That, of course, didnt stop me from talking shit...taking a pic of my VICTORY...as well as unveiling my new "victory" pose. hahah Thinking back..I probably should've taken a picture of that too..but ah well...VICTORY!!!!

No comments: